Over the past few weeks, I’ve been making rough proofs–trial prints–of several linoleum and soft linoleum blocks to see which, if any, I will enter into an international miniature juried print exhibition. In these, I’m working on design elements mainly. I printed the blocks on newsprint paper, taped them to bookcases to view and tried various combinations of overprinting and colour. It was an enjoyable exercise. The ones in the photos are not the prints I’ll be entering, but were an important part of the process of choosing where to go next. I’ve picked three prints that I’ll now experiment printing with different colours and on different papers until I get the ones I’m happiest with. I’ll show you these later on.
I’m also about to launch into some further paintings on the chambers of the heart theme.
This week my auspicious card deck, Mirrors of the Heart, has returned from the printer. It’s on thicker card stock with matte lamination. This time it’s black and white like the original linos. And, I’ve added a back to each card–a linocut of two birds. I’ve put the deck up in my etsy shop.
I’ve begun making a series of postcards. Here are the first two I’ve designed, back from the printer. These are combinations of two poems I’ve written superimposed on two of my linocuts. You can also see the postcards in my etsy shop.
I decided to give the series a name and hit upon naming them in honour of my beloved childhood dog–a beagle named Cedar.
I continue turning some of my old prints into origami booklets. And, as so often happens, I’ve been changing the work in ways I didn’t first set out to do. I tried a few booklets with simple collages of some poetry I’ve written. Then, this morphed into bits of writing about the weather or a dream I’ve had. I’ve added colour to the prints with Pitt markers and am now enjoying a freer process than my first attempts.
Here’s another print (A Mask of the Goddess, 2 from 1974) in a pile of linocuts. Then there’s some photos of the most recent booklet I’ve made from folding and cutting the entire print.
I’ll be showing you more photos from my trip to Spain, but meanwhile I’ve begun a project to transform many of my old prints into origami books. I first did this when I sent some prints as mail art, but haven’t continued sending them out. Here’s the plan which may change over time. I’m going to go through the lino and wood cuts I’ve made, save one or two of each for myself and make the rest into simple origami booklets. That entails cutting the prints (the most shocking part) and folding them. I’m going to then adhere some poems I’ve written onto the prints turned booklets.
Here’s the beginning of the first experiment, showing a pile of prints, one of them cut up and two folded booklets. I’ll show you some of the finished works later.